Sunday 23 October 2011

New Tree

My brother Steve had found some spruce seedlings, similar to those he was planting a couple of years ago in Northern B.C. Steve showed me the planting method, and I decided that I would plant one of these trees in the place.

 I stood for a while on the standing rocks, and started to look for look for an appropriate tree-planting spot.




In doing so, I became aware that the whole area is scattered with deposits of canine faeces in varying stages of decomposition. I am glad to have noticed this: it is not, I think, a good idea to undertake any performances in which I have physical bodily contact with the ground.

Ideally I would plant the tree centrally, directly in between the two standing rocks. But since this is right in the middle of the path, the tree would likely be stepped on or removed before getting a chance to grow. I selected a spot with good linear connections (in line with other trees, and with the standing stones, and the other side of one of the stones from the path). Under a tree, I found a length of metal rebar, which I used to scrape away earth, creating a hole big enough to bury the root base of the tree.



I put the tree in the ground, and filled in the earth around it.



No comments:

Post a Comment